Door installation is probably the most common home improvement project, and also one of the easiest. The installation process does not require you to be a trained professional in replacing a basic door.
Easy Steps that Will Tell you How to Install a Door
- Firstly, you need to decide where you want to install the hinges. Install hinges according to where you want the door to open, left or right.
- Mark the spots where you would like to install the hinges on the door frame. Generally, hinges are installed 10 inches from the door frame’s bottom, and 5 inches from the top.
- If you are installing new hinges, mark the spots, and if you are replacing the hinges, then remove the existing ones first. You will need a hammer to first free the old hinges.
- Make the outline of the hinge onto the door frame by using a pencil or marker. Mark the width and height clearly.
- Mark the areas where you want to place the screws. Most of the hinge packages or kits include their own screws, which makes the marking and installation process easier.
- Use a hammer and chisel to make a depression within the outlined marks on the door frame.
- Screw the hinges in their respective places. If done properly, the hinges will be held firmly and be at level with the door frame. Screw all the hinges in the same manner.
- Connect the two halves of the hinges with the help of a hinge pin. This will secure the door to the door frame. It is better to start by attaching the top hinges and then proceed to the bottom ones.
Well, Congrats! You have installed the door! Like I said, Door installation is a rather easy process!